Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Washington Square in Philadelphia

My Philadelphia & the Arts class (which is taught by the sociable and suave Professor Jack Byer) took a tour tonight of Washington Square. I just finished writing one of my essays on the square and on it's monument, "The tomb of the Unknown Soldier." See pics below:
The statue is of our first president George Washington and is a replica of a famous bronze statue by artist Jean Antoine Houdon. The words behind the statue, in case you can't read them say, "Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness." And as if that wasn't poignant enough, this statement also strives to break my heart (and is written on top of the stone coffin shown behind the eternal flame) : Beneath this stone rests a soldier of Washington's army who died to give you liberty.

One word: wow.

The last paragraph of my essay on this subject, which contains elaboration of my WOW, is shown in the paragraph below.

A few years ago I had appointments to go after work, and I would find myself walking on a diagonal path through this park. I would stare up at the trees as I walked. The trees surely have been there for more than a hundred years!  The sheer size and majesty of them attests to my theory!  In my walks through the park, I had the opportunity and leisure to observe the Monument of the Unknown Soldier.  On the big wall of stone behind the statue of the president it reads: Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness.  These poignant words struck me deep in my heart and made me misty-eyed and proud.  I found it immensely touching that recognition was given to these unknown soldiers, each who might’ve traveled great lengths only to die and be buried in nameless, uncounted, unmarked graves.  How proud such a soldier must be, gazing down from the heavenly blue sky, peeking through the leafy treetops, to see the eternal flame. This burning blaze serving as a beacon, beckoning to his wounded soul; he surely must know now, that he was not forgotten…



No comments:

Post a Comment